SC - Almond Milk, Again

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Fri May 26 11:17:23 PDT 2000

>>2) Is it reasonable to grind the almonds to a flour or meal some time
before using and store to preserve freshness? I certainly would keep
it in a cool dark place at the very least, in order to reduce
oxidation. Is it better to keep the almond meal very well sealed in
the freezer or in the refrigerator? Will freezing make the oil turn,
so that the fridge is preferable? Or should i only grind the almonds
just before using?<<

I buy almonds either blanched or unblanched, depending on availability or
price.  I store them in the freezer, and blanch if necessary before
grinding.  Do your grinding last, just before adding your liquid.  I
bought some pecan meal, and it doesn't keep quite as nicely as the pecan
pieces, or the halves.  I imagine it's the same for the almond, as the
nut is a pretty good little package.  Freezing did not make the oil turn
in mine, whereas, stored in a glass jar or a plastic bag in the cupboard,
little moths got in and laid eggs and caterpillars spoiled them.  That's
why a lot of stuff goes into my freezer--don't ever want an infestation
of those, again.

When I made almond milk and stored it in the frig, it went really bad in
just a few days.  I think I have some in the freezer, but haven't thawed
it to check changes.

Removing the skins:  the skins have a slightly bitter taste.  Some
recipes say it is not necessary to remove the skins.  May be taste, may
be color.  I've never made unblanched almond milk, can't say how it
tastes.  Let us know your experiment results?

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com