SC - "throrow a straynour" - A query about horsetail

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat May 27 00:35:51 PDT 2000

> Now the point of this story, yes I'm wandering, is that the other thing that
> you have to contend with other than the flavor and texture of cooked
> Horsetail, is the tough fiberous strand intermixed with the mush.  While
> these would be fine and tough enough to weave a screen for a strainer, the
> plant in highly segmented. The longest segment on older plants is still only
> 4-5 inches long (at least in the species growing in the Sierra Nevada Range
> and the Wasatch Range and the semi-wetlands of Southern Utah), when you are
> really bored some enjoyment can be had popping the segments apart,
> fascinating little plants.

I remember some discussions on a list (SCA-Arts?) about this plant being
used in period like a fine sandpaper because of the high silicate
content. I first saw it last year around the lake near the dam at Pennsic.
But since then I've seen it grown in ornamental ponds, so it may be
available all around the country, for those who want to experiment.
This file in the CRAFTS section of my files has more details on it;s
use as a polishing agent:
polishing-msg     (13K)  4/17/00    Period polishing and sanding materials.

> So the short answer to your short question is...
> Horsehair is more likely to have been used than Horsetail.

> Isabeau

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net