SC - Buying books using the web

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Mon May 29 01:30:13 PDT 2000

Stefan wrote:

>After hearing this mentioned here I decided to try this a few days ago.
>The book I looked for was not a cookbook, but rather a book published
>in 1946, "Under the Red Sea Sun" about salvaging a port on the Red
>Sea. Anyway, I found a surprizing number of copies from $10 to $75.
>However a large number of the entries said the book had already been
>sold when I checked out the sites. After ruling out a few that I
>ruled out because they were in New Zealand, and I figured the shipping
>would be atrocious, I placed an order. That order required a check.
>Luckily before I got the check in the mail I recieved a message from
>the vender saying the book had been sold.

I´ve ordered books I found through bookfinder.com and abebooks.com several
times without any difficulties. Overseas postal charges are high, I guess,
but we are used to that here in Iceland. Last Friday I got a book I had
ordered from a bookseller in Arizona (this was a book printed in Laos - my,
has that book travelled). The price was $ 14.50 and postage and packing
added another $10 to the charge. The book was just as I had expected from
the description (which has generally been my experience with these used
books). And this was a hard-to-find book I´ve been looking for, on and off,
for almost a year.

I´ve paid for all my purchases by credit card so I really don´t have an
answer to your check-related questions but I´d wait for a confirmation and
ask them to hold the book.

>So, my questions are:
>1) How often are these databases updated? I checked again several
>days later and no entries seemed to have changed. I was using only
>the www.bookfinder.com address.

The individual booksellers are responsible for updates and some of them may
be slower to do it than others. I haven´t had this experience with my
purchases, either at bookfinder.com or abebooks.com. Once I placed an order
and got a message from the bookseller that the book was on hold and she
would let me know if the other buyer decided not to buy it. I admit I
haven´t checked how soon the books I´ve bought are removed from the
database, though.

>2) Is there a glossery somewhere for all these terms on the condition
>a book is in?

Yes. Check the homepage of bookfinder.com.

Nanna