SC - corn and potatoes together (OOP)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue May 30 18:59:37 PDT 2000

Lee-Gwen Booth wrote:

> Unto the Gathered Cooks of the List does Gwynydd send Greetings - and the
> following (seriously OOP question):
>
> I am on another food related List, and someone asked this question.
> Frankly it sounds like a myth to me, does anyone have any ideas?
>
> "I have heard that to eat corn and potatos in the
> same meal is a bad idea, since it creates a starch very difficult to
> digest properly - myth?"

Yeth.

I'm not a chemist or anything, but it occurs to me that you don't create
a starch by mixing two others in your stomach. AFAIK, the human body
doesn't create a complex carbohydrate out of two substances it normally
breaks down into sugars, with the possible exception of glycogen, which
is for energy storage.

This sounds to me like some kind of fringey post-Atkins nutritional theory.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com