SC - yams

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Nov 1 04:36:11 PST 2000

In most of the grocery stores here we have both sweet
potatoes
and yams available in the produce.  I do wonder if the
yams are
really yams though.  How would I tell?
Thanks
Val
Hi,
 What i have seen that I am fairly sure are really
yams as opposed to sweet potatoes which almost always
seem to be mislabled, espeically around this time of
year, are a long tuber looking vegetrables. Brown,with
kind of hairy-looking roots, and it's usually waxed.
It also has a creamy white center. If you've ever seen
"oyster root" this looks like it's very big brother.
I've most often seen them in the military commisaries,
or ethnic sections of grocery stores with decent
produce sections. If you buy one, expect the person at
the counter to look at you funny, ask you what that
thing is, and give you another look when you tell them
it is a yam. And they may even ask you how to cook it.
(I get that at the check out on occasion) I have a
cookbook, (somewhere) that is called unusual fruits
and vegetables and what to do with them. So if I see
something I haven't ever seen before, Ill grab it, and
take it home and figure out what to do with it. But
I'm rambling. I hope I answered your question
correctly, and if I'm mistaken (along with the grocers
who label these things) then would someone please let
me know ?
Thanks
Nisha