SC - Re: "Thanksgiving" festivals in Period

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Nov 1 10:41:32 PST 2000

- --part1_f4.41baa04.2731b8da_boundary

In a message dated 10/27/00 12:54:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ekoogler at chesapeake.net writes:

> Golden Syrup is a British thing...it's made by the same folks who make
> treacle.

Sorry I'm late coming in on this thread, but I thought I'd add my
"four-penneth" on this thread as Golden Syrup is something I grew up with in
Britain.

I am sure more than one company must make it, but the most famous brand is
"Tate and Lyle" (same company that makes all sorts of sugars over there).
Yes, Golden Syrup comes in a green can (shaped like a small paint pot for
those of you trying to find it), and on the front of the can is a picture of
a lion lying down with (I think) some bees buzzing around him, and the saying
"Out of strength comes sweetness" (IIRC) written beneath.

I do not know if it is a cane sugar product so I'll take the list members
word on that, but it is a light golden clear syrup, not at all like honey in
taste, and not as thick or opaque as treacle is.  I could see using it on
pancakes, but the taste isn't as rich as maple, so I wouldn't substitute
maple syrup for it in a recipe, as the maple would alter the taste of the
dish from what was intended.

YIS
Elysant

- --part1_f4.41baa04.2731b8da_boundary