SC - French knife

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 1 14:56:39 PST 2000

- --- SCAbeathog at cs.com wrote:
> Our discusstion of last week concerning golden syrup
> has sparked in me a new
> interest in sweeteners.  While searching
> wildoats.com, I came across
> something called barley malt syrup, and wonder if
> any of you have any info on
> it.

I have used this kind of product for many, many things
(including brewing, which worked pretty well), but my
favorite way to use this product is in a bowl of hot
Oatmeal, with heavy Cream and real butter!  It is also
very nice when blended in with pancake or waffle
batter, all manner of cakes and other baked goods, and
as a replacement for molasses in Barbecue Sauce.  I
have also used it (and this may sound weird until you
try it) to sweeten up Soda Water served over ice on a
hot California Summer Day...very refreshing.

If you do a lot of Bread Baking at home, you will find
this stuff indispensible as food for your yeast.  Mix
it in with your warm water, and feed it to your
yeasties.  They LOVE the stuff, and you will notice a
very nice difference in the flavor of your breads.  I
use about 1/4 as much malt syrup as I do water (i.e. 1
Cup for every Quart of Water)

Hope this helps.

Balthazar of Blackmoor