SC - Scottish oatcakes

Elysant1@aol.com Elysant1 at aol.com
Thu Nov 2 10:14:01 PST 2000

- --- harper at idt.net wrote:
> Here are the highlights of what Herrera has to say about
> feeding
> hens.

> but in that way the hens stop laying in the great heat of
> summer as in the
> cold of winter, although not as much, and because of that
> it is good to
> give them green flowers (?? rosas verdes) in the daytime,
> and

> Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
> Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
> mka Robin Carroll-Mann
> harper at idt.net

I wonder if "rosas verdes" could be unripe rose hips?  Did
medieval roses bloom all summer or were they more like "old
fashioned" roses and only bloomed through the early part?
If the latter, the hips would be what were available by the
hot part of the summer.  Just a wild guess, as my books are
STILL In A Box.

But at least I have a real lock on the front door now, so I
guess I'm making progress (it was a push-button type when I
moved in).  The unpacking has been postponed in favor of an
attempt at pomegranate syrup/molasses -- any suggestions on
the best way to extract the juice from the things?  I've
heard you can roll them on the floor with your foot before
peeling, but not on THAT floor!  I tried boiling the first
batch of seeds and then hanging it in a cheesecloth bag,
which seems to have worked but took a long time and some
squeezing to finish it off.  I'm thinking some kind of
press that I don't have would be best, but does anyone have
any other suggestions?  And has anyone seen my marbles?  I
think they're In A Box, too...

By the way, there's a VERY non-period but food-related
giggle at http://www.sci.tamuccedu/~pmichaud/grape/ , for
those who care to indulge.

Dana/Ximena