SC - Caidan Cooks Potluck

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 3 22:24:12 PST 2000

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa said:
> Ok, I'm 24 hours from my non-messy dayboard, and well.. it's not entirely
> period. As my friends around here say, "It's a dayboard, right? What's the
> big deal?"

> Suggestions, comments, criticism welcome.
>
> Cold Roasted chicken, Cold Roasted Beef (some of the beef will be seasoned
> with my own, Dembinska inspired but not documented combination of larded
> with garlic and rubbed with thyme, then soused with cubeb vinegar; some
> will be plain. I probably won't boil it first...)

How do you intend to make this "non-messy"? Particularly the stuff
soused with cubeb vinegar? Even roasted chicken by itself, I thought
could be pretty greasy.

> Hott mulled apple cider. (no, I haven't checked the mulling spices for
> periodness, but I expect allspice is in there. Also, no documentation for
> mulled sweet cider)

Nope, the allspice is a New World plant as as far as I remember was
not introduced to Europe prior to 1600. There are plenty of other
nice spices for this without using it. I think there are some
comments in my spices-msg file on allspice.

I doubt there was much mulled sweet cider since it turns of alcohol
or vinegar fairly quickly. I think I mentioned this file earlier, so
if you've already checked it, my pardon for repeating myself. In the
BEVERAGES section:
wassail-msg       (15K) 12/17/99    Spiced cider and ale drinks. Traditions.

> Crystalized Ginger (it's mentioned in secondary sources but I don't have
> documentation, and besides, I didn't make it myself, I bought it.)

A number of spices were candied. I can't remember if I've seen any
recipes specifically mentioning candied ginger. Anyone?

It is really quite an elaborate dayboard. Yes, there are a few things
that could be improved. It's really too late to fret about it. Go
with what you've got. Best of luck. Please let us know how it goes.
- --
HL  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net