SC - SC-Festival of Kites stuff....

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Nov 6 05:40:19 PST 2000

- --part1_49.310b4dc.27379077_boundary

In a message dated 11/5/00 8:30:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Etain1263 at aol.com writes:

> .  They didn't have "sweet corn"...it was the dry field variety, but could
> be ground into a meal to make bread.

The truth of the matter is that all field corn is eminently edible (e.g.,
sweet) when it is in the green stage. This lasts for only a few days and
outside that time limit it looses its sweetness and becomes starchy. As a
child we seldom grew sweet corn on the farm because green field corn was just
as good when picked within the correct time frame. We literally got the pot
of water boiling, went to the field picked the corn and husked it. Within
minutes of harvest it was already in the pot. This was because even a delay
of an hour or less would see the corn loosing its sweetness and becoming
starchy. Given the late date of the introduction of sweet corn, I would
hesitate to make the over all assertion that the pilgrim's or, for that
matter, the American Natives did not know 'sweet corn' as an item of their
diet but, rather, they did not know the plant that we now produce what is
known as 'sweet corn.' Perhaps they did not know it as we know it but they
certainly were familiar with the use of green corn which when harvested
appropriately is little different in flavor and texture than modern sweet
corns.

One thing to remember is that even though settlers in the New World would
most likely have integrated corn into there culinary practices very quickly
(and m indeed, such was the case), the same cannot be said of Europe or the
Mideast which up until W.W.II viewed such plants as animal fodder.

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol

- --part1_49.310b4dc.27379077_boundary