SC - non-member submission -

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 7 09:11:24 PST 2000

At 9:38 AM -0500 11/7/00, Jenne Heise wrote:
>  > Both you and an earlier poster seem to be writing as if the quote was
>>  serious evidence for what was period. But the original poster made it
>>  clear that it wasn't--that he was simply putting together assertions
>>  by secondary sources, including the internet, not checking whether
>>  they were true or not. Hence "for your entertainment, criticism,
>>  amusement and use."
>>  And in at least one case, we have had evidence (I think from
>>  Adamantius) that what it says isn't true--that while cheese was being
>>  made near Cheddar in period, there is no reason to believe it was
>>  what we call cheddar cheese and some reason to believe it wasn't.
>
>NO criticism of Adamantius (except when he doesn't answer my mail, poke,
>poke!) or anybody else intended-- but in the interest of keeping us all on
>the same page as far as references: statements by people on this list are
>still tertiary sources, or at best secondary sources, unless they are
>including portions of primary sources. As tertiary and secondary sources
>go, the members of this list can be classified as very reliable; certainly
>more reliable than the general run of commercial cheese maker's web sites.

Yes. In particular, Adamantius is reliable on all subjects other than
cuskynoles.

But even if he weren't, if we have two unreliable sources that
disagree with each other, that is a reason not to accept either. I
didn't say that we knew cheddar wasn't period, I said we had evidence
it wasn't. We also have evidence it is--although I suspect not very
good evidence.

But the posts I was responding to seemed to take it for granted that
cheddar was period--because someone on the list had said that someone
else, reliability unchecked, said it was.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/