SC - Re: sca-cooks Polish manuscripts & future title (drool)

Nanna Rognvaldardottir nanna at idunn.is
Wed Nov 8 02:13:50 PST 2000

Master Cariadoc commented:
> >>Olwen commented:
> >>
> >>Did you make the faux cinnamon sticks? If not, do you know how they were
> >>made? Were these faux 'true' cinnamon or faux 'cassia' cinnamon? :-)
> >>They do look different.
> >
> >No Stefan, I didn't make them, Lady Cordelia did.  They were made
> >from sugar plate and rolled and sprinkled all over with cinnamon.
> >Yes, I believe it was true cinnamon.  I cann't believe she would use
> >other as we both generally grind our own (I do all the time, it's
> >all I have).  If anyone wants to know her method, I'm sure I can get
> >it.

Yes, please do. It's an interesting idea. Sugar plate should have been
obvious to me, but I can also imagine doing it with a bread dough or
marzipan perhaps. I'm also interested in how the coloring was done. My
sugarpaste mix is a bright white in color. Just sprinkling that with
cinnamon powder, of whatever type, is not going to look like a cinnamon
stick.

> I think the question was not about the ingredients but the shape of
> the product. Cassia sticks look different from true cinnamon sticks.
>
> That was why the question was not "were these true cinnamon or cassia
> cinnamon faux cinnamon sticks" but "Were these faux 'true' cinnamon
> or faux 'cassia' cinnamon?"

This is exactly what I was asking. Both Cassia and Cinnamon were period.
So this wasn't a "but it wasn't period" criticism. I was just curious
how much attention was paid to details. And whether the faux cinnamon
looked close enough to the real thing to even matter.

> It's always a pleasure to see language used precisely.

Thank you. Wish I could do as well verbally.
- --
THL  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris                   Austin, Texas                stefan at texas.net