SC - Corn-Early Modern

TG gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Wed Nov 8 17:47:24 PST 2000

Olwen the Odd wrote:

> >When I posted Gervase Markham's recipe for Rice Pudding, which I used in
> >the
> >Protectorate Feast, I translated "farms" as "molds" in keeping with the
> >sources I was using.  I have since obtained a copy of The English Housewife
> >editted by Michael Best.
> >
> >In this edition, Best translates "farms" or "farmes" as being the cleaned
> >intestines used as sausage casings.  In the context of the other pudding
> >recipes in the book, Best's definition appears to be correct.  He also
> >provides a note that this particular definition is not found in the OED.
> >
> >Bear
> >
> Forgive me Bear, I don't have your recipe here in front of me, but are you
> saying the rice pudding should be stuffed into casings?  It seems a bit odd
> to me but perhaps it would be an easiy alternative in the steaming or it and
> handleing of it.  I wonder if if would change the flavor muchly.
> Olwen

Yes, it probably does go into casings. Other recipes from Markham which
are pretty clearly for sausages (one, IIRC, for "links" which speaks of
stuffing the minced meat, fat and spices into "tharmes" and tying them
off into links) are written in a pretty similar way. As for the flavor,
this is just another white pudding variant, and the casings don't add
to, or detract much from the flavor. You can eat it in the casing, like
a sausage, or peel off the casing and reheat the pudding without it,
like most other white puddings.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy