SC - Isinglass

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Nov 9 09:36:40 PST 2000

	Margali (?) wrote
	Well, I don't know if this is good for the list or not, but I do
know
	that dried fish bladders were used in period for fining wine and
beer...
	 http://www.martico.com/Default.htm

And you can see a picture of one on my website at:
http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove/isinglass.jpg

It's part of the article I'm _still_ writing about the 'London Eats Out'
exhibition. Did some more this week, so I will get there eventually! Here's
the commentary:
Isinglass was used to make gelatin for jellies, and as a clarifying agent
for ales and wines - which it is most popularly used for nowadays. Until
early in the C.20th century, isinglass was also used to preserve eggs in
English kitchens. It is a good source of glue and was employed in gilding
illuminations.
Basically, isinglass is a gelatinous semitransparent substance obtained by
cleaning and drying the air bladders of the Sturgeon fish (Acipenseridae
family). Other fish such as Cod and Hake were also used.

Ciao
Lucrezia
(and yes you get a trailer with me, but I can't do much about it)

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.