SC - perogie press

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 9 11:11:16 PST 2000

Christina Nevin wrote:

> It's part of the article I'm _still_ writing about the 'London Eats Out'
> exhibition. Did some more this week, so I will get there eventually! Here's
> the commentary:
> Isinglass was used to make gelatin for jellies, and as a clarifying agent
> for ales and wines - which it is most popularly used for nowadays. Until
> early in the C.20th century, isinglass was also used to preserve eggs in
> English kitchens. It is a good source of glue and was employed in gilding
> illuminations.
> Basically, isinglass is a gelatinous semitransparent substance obtained by
> cleaning and drying the air bladders of the Sturgeon fish (Acipenseridae
> family). Other fish such as Cod and Hake were also used.

Just something to think about... It's my understanding that the
substance called isinglass, used to preserve eggs, is in fact sodium
silicate solution, a thick, glycerine-like syrupy stuff not actually
related to the fishy product, more closely related in fact, I suspect,
to glass, hence the chemical name.

Have you run across any information on this question in your research?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com