SC - Trenchers Oh my!

Thu Nov 9 19:26:19 PST 2000

> Well I trial cooked the Wroclaw trencher recipe from the Florigium and I =
> must tell you it is awful!  I am sure that it faithfully replicates the =
> intent of the trencher and if people were expected to actually eat these =
> things I really do feel their pain!  I made mine with spelt and rye =
> flour.  The result was heavy and had a bitter after taste.  If you =
> intend to try this one, I would suggest a trial with a reduced amount.  =
> I foolishly did the full amount and have regretted it. =20

This may be a dumb question, but:
I notice that the bread recipe in the Florilegium does not include the
directions for making the 'thick beer' sourdough starter. Did you use a
sourdough starter for the thick beer, an ale barm, or just plain beer/ale?
If you used plain beer or ale, that would be part of the problem: you
would get loaves that were not leavened enough and had much too much hops
in them, thus being bitter.
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker