SC - Trenchers Oh my!

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Fri Nov 10 08:53:43 PST 2000

> 	Adamantius wrote:
> 	Just something to think about... It's my understanding that the
> 	substance called isinglass, used to preserve eggs, is in fact sodium
> 	silicate solution, a thick, glycerine-like syrupy stuff not actually
> 	related to the fishy product, more closely related in fact, I
> suspect,
> 	to glass, hence the chemical name.
> 	Have you run across any information on this question in your
> research?

According to _Putting Food By_ by Ruth Hertzberg, et. al. (Brattleboro,
Vt. : Stephen Greene Press, 1975), isinglas used in preserving eggs is in
fact a chemical rather than fish related substance. I'll have to go back
to my copy and try to bring it in to answer the question fully but I
believe she says it is sodium silicate... though I'm doing thsi from
memory and am not sure.
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker