SC - Trenchers Oh my!

Sat Nov 11 21:22:23 PST 2000

Muirghen commented:
> Since there is a tacit requirement when doing a feast to present both
> interesting fare and palatable food (which means compatible with the western
> palate) I expressed a point of information.

Yes and, as I mentioned in my private email to you, I appreciate you taking
the time to let us know of your experiences with this.

> I am sure that there are those
> who would actually know what to do with a "real" trencher if they were
> presented the opportunity, but I fear the vast majority would be mystified
> and then would hunt down the cook who served the oversized pucks or small
> discus!

Quite likely. However, rather than trying to make a trencher into
something it was not meant to be and probably degrading its usefulness
in it's medieval role, perhaps you can turn this into an educational
opportunity for the folks at your event. Or in the future, if that
event is/was this weekend. Maybe a short training session for all
your servers, who could then demonstrate how to cut and use the
trencher to their tables. Or if you are sending the trenchers out
already sliced, simply having the servers explain the use of the
trencher and that they don't taste particularly good.

If you have more than one trencher for each person, sending folks
around to collect the used trenchers between courses might be useful
and a period element.

I doubt trying to explain things to a full hall will work, since
often you can't hear the entertainment or even court. A simple
note in any feast menus might also be useful.

I would like to eat at a feast that actually made use of such a
period way of doing things. Of course, that is now. If after
trying a trencher all I got was a sodden mess and grease/sauce
all over the table I might change my opinion. But I'd like to
try it at least once.
- --
THL  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net