SC - Pheasant

WyteRayven@aol.com WyteRayven at aol.com
Mon Nov 13 10:41:17 PST 2000

> > Maybe a short training session for all
> > your servers, who could then demonstrate how to cut and use the
> > trencher to their tables.

Trying to cut a four day old trencher to shape without a large, sharp knife
or a good serrated-edge bread knife is a real chore.  Also, in period,
trenchers were prepared by the pantler for disposition to the tables.
Prepare the trenchers in the kitchen and save yourself a lot of grief.

> > If you have more than one trencher for each person, sending folks
> > around to collect the used trenchers between courses might be useful
> > and a period element.

Apparently trenchers were collected and replaced between courses by yeoman
waiters under the almoner's direction.

> I think sending out pre-sliced trenchers would be best. Serving is
> usually rather hectic at even the best events.

Good idea.

And another thing
> I think should be mentioned to any who are considering this is
> that from the illustrations I've seen, trenchers were pretty small
> and were arranged on a plate by placing four pieces of bread
> in a square with a fourth on top in the middle.

Not necessarily.  I've also seen what appears to be trenchers as single
squares of bread.  I believe the particular paintings you are referring to
are are those of the King's high table.

> I do agree that they would really help with cleanup. Especially
> when you think that many high feasts were served on the finest
> silverplate the Lord had. I'm sure that, extravagance aside, he
> appreciated it not getting too messy.

Painted wooden chargers were probably more common than silver (except maybe
for the high table) and I suspect silver alloy was more common than
silverplate.  I'm still in the early research stages.  And ceramic bowls.
Ceramic bowls were replenished once or twice a year, just before the high
Holy Days.

As for the mess, that is why one hires retainers.  The Lord would prefer
that the service not get damaged.

> > I doubt trying to explain things to a full hall will work, since
> > often you can't hear the entertainment or even court. A simple
> > note in any feast menus might also be useful.
>
> The note is good, and even an illustration of the way to put them.
> Or a brief explination by the server would help.
>
> > But I'd like to try it at least once.
>
> So would I. I'll have to work on it.
>
> > THL  Stefan li Rous
>
> Gunthar

I'm still looking for a copy of Furnivall to further my researches.  I'm
hoping it can provide more information on trenchers than I currently have,
including how to present the trencher to the table and whether or not food
was ever served to the trencher.

I'd love to try trenchers, but I think the advance oven capacity required
makes them impractical for anything other than small feasts.

Bear