SC - [Fwd: Postings]

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 13 11:13:21 PST 2000

>Howdy from Eden,
>While doing some web surfing I came across the following webpage which
>claims all it's recipes are from Sent Sovi (14th c. Catalan cookbook)
>http://www.sofisstitches.com/recipies.htm
>
>given her interpretation of Pomada as an apple drink I find the following
>highly suspect, (in fact I assume that it's a lemon sauce for chicken as in
>Limonaia from the Italian corpus) but if someone else who actually has sent
>sovi (and can read the spanish) can provide any info either way I'd be very
>interested.
>
>Eden
>

>Limonada
>Lemonade
>
>Ingredients:
>100 gr. crushed almonds
>125 gr. plump raisins
>60 gr. sugar
>4 lemons
>ginger shavings
>

>Scald the almonds and peel, chop up in the mortar and in the pot. Beat very
>good the raisins in the mortar. Combine both into the pot with water and
>let
>stand and soak for 12 hours and let pass continually through a sieve.
>Remove
>the pulp with the almonds and in the pot cook the sugar and ginger and
>stirring every minute with a spoon. After 20 minutes of cooking, squeeze
>the
>juice of the lemons; boild five minutes more. Serve with a little powdered
>sugar on top.

Oh dear.  I'd been meaning to write Sofi about those recipes.  The
redactions are from a book by Josep Lladonosa i Giro, who ran a Barcelona
restaurant called "Quatre Barres" dedicated to presenting "authentic"
Catalan cuisine, including redactions from Sent Sovi and De Nola.  The book
is valuable in that it reprints the original text of the recipes, and has a
pretty extensive section on medieval kitchens and culinary techniques.  He
sometimes plays fast and loose with the redactions, but no worse than some
modern cookbook writers.  Sofi got the book via  interlibrary loan, and was
kind enough to provide me with a copy.

The recipe is actually from De Nola, and it is a lemon sauce.  Sofi's
translation is somewhat faulty, but the intent is sincere.  As for her
clothes, yes, her documentation may be sketchy, but at least she's providing
garb that doesn't look like the cover of a romance novel.

Vicente
(still working on De Nola)