SC - Trenchers Oh my!

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Nov 13 23:26:47 PST 2000

Iasmin de Cordoba answered my questions about her cooking both an above
board and below board feast at the same event:
> (1) I could have cooked extra of a few select dishes and simply
> given the low feasters a taste of the picture as opposed to the full
> in your face gastronimcal onslaught I was accused of inflicting
> on the poor folks. This would have been more period.
>
> (2) I could have let someone else cook the low feast and kept to
> the high feast on my own.
>
> (3) I could have let someone else cook the low feast and coordinated
> everything.
>
> As it was, technically we did #3. I say technically because other than
> saying "YOU! CELERY! PLEASE CHOP!" I didn't do the cooking for the low
> feast. But when I think of letting someone else cook it, I mean letting
> someone else do everything and leaving them on their own to planning
> and everything else involved with getting a feast out on the table. For
> coordination, I would probably negotiate burner sharing and oven timing
> to help them out.

One advantage to doing number 3 or 2 is that it would allow a less
experienced cook get some experience. Such as me for instance. While
I'm unlikely to take on a more elaborate multi-course feast, I think
I could handle a feast such as you describe for the below board folks.

Another possiblity of this type of arrangement is that it allows
you to cook an unusual foods or fancy foods feast and still give
an alternative for those less inclined to such things. It could
even be done with a nice, period feast for those who like period
foods and a mundane food feast for those that don't, even if they
are the Crown. Of course, in the latter case *I* probably would not
be that interested in cooking the below the salt portion.

> Does this answer your questions? If not, I can answer more.

Yes, thanks.
- --
THL  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net