SC - Haggis shop???

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Nov 14 05:16:10 PST 2000

On reading Lord Ras' comments on the Trenchers, Oh My thread I had to wonder
about the implication that Dr. Lehner of the Bakery recreation was a
follower of Edgar Cayce and therefore his scholarship was suspect.  I've
been aware of the Institute at the University of Chicago' Oriental Institute
since I first read _Gods, Graves, and Scholars_ and got hooked on Sumerian
Archeology and Egyptology some 45 years ago, and I just couldn't believe
that such an institution would keep an Edgar Cayce fan on staff.  Therefore
I did a bit of web checking and found this on a Nova site.  Please note that
Dr. Lehner says that his fling with the ideas of hidden civilizations and
"the Hall of Records" was when he was a young college student (anyone
remember _Chariots of the Gods_, and Son of the Sons of Chariots of the
Gods?  Note also, that he ran up against hard facts and changed his mind
upon the presentation of new and scientifically deduced facts.

NOVA: Can you briefly tell us about your history at Giza and tell us about
some of the work you've done there? In essence, why Giza?

LEHNER: Wow, do you want the real answer or the abridged version? I first
went to Egypt in 1972 as a tourist. And then I went back in 1973, the
following year as a year abroad student at the American University in Cairo.
And it's no secret that when I went I myself was imbued with the ideas of
lost civilizations and inspired by a man named Edgar Cayce. So I was in
fact, myself, looking for the lost civilization and something called the
Hall of Records.

 Or at least those ideas were on my mind. To make a long story short, those
ideas didn't stand up against bedrock reality. And so then I was still
fascinated by these pyramids and the Sphinx. Then I asked the question,
well, what is the real story? What is the story that the site itself has to
tell. And so that's what sustained me and kept me out there in a kind of
exploratory mode.

If you would like to see the whole interview it is at
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/pyramid/excavation/lehner.html

I purposely picked the Nova interview because they love sensationalizalism
and if Dr. Lehner were a .... devotee of Mr. Cayce or Velikovsky they would
have brought it out.

I think I'll save my salt for my trencher.

Regina Romsey