SC - Puck's retirement, OOP, OT

Richard Kappler rkappler at home.com
Wed Nov 15 11:13:27 PST 2000

First, I would like to thank everyone for the advice and assistance.

In the interests of domestic tranquility and my own sanity, I have decided
to pay a taxidermist to tan the hide for me.  I don't have the time to do
it, and I don't want to make a major mistake. (Besides, it'll be about $40,
so the guy tells me) Unfortunately, by the time I got there the hide had
been removed and the deer mostly butchered.  They did do a good job of
skinning; hardly any flesh on the hide and one hole from the bullet.  I
couldn't harvest any of the organs (not even the testicles, Ras) or the
sinew. The hunters gave me all the bones I could carry.  I have the ribcage,
forelegs, hips and femurs. They seemed quite amazed that anyone would want
these things, or that they could be used.  (They also acted as if they'd
never seen a cleaver before.  I got lots of Bone Collector and Jeffrey
Dahmer quips.) They're going out again this weekend; if they get lucky, I'm
more than welcome to the hide and bones again.  (Whee!)

On using the bones: I've been told that once the flesh is cleaned off and
the marrow removed, the bones must be stabilized to keep them from drying
out too much and becoming brittle.  Is this something I can do myself, or
should it be left to a professional?

Buried in bones,

Vicente