SC - false hippocras was Tentative Boar Hunt Menu

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 15 19:16:42 PST 2000

>on the subject of hot non-alcoholic beverages, we've had some success with
>making fake hipocras. Non-alcoholic wine is prohibitively expensive
>oftentimes, so you can cheat and use grape juice if you have to. Make it
>fairly dilute, and add a bit of lemon to try and sour it up a bit (grapes
>for juice are WAY sweeter than grapes for most wines I find).

My false hippocras recipe used frozen concentrated juices in the proportion
of 6 white grape juice (less sweet than the purple, also less likely to
stain garb) to 2 unsweetened cranberry juice (for tartness).  I couldn't
find unsweetened apple juice concentrate, so a half gallon of  unsweetened
apple juice was also added (added depth to the flavor).

A portion of the water needed to dilute the juice was boiled and made into a
spice 'tea' using the spice powder in Redon et al (I think). The spiced
water was strained into the juice concentrates and enough more water was
added to properly dilute the juices.  Then I tasted and decided that a
cupful of balsamic vinegar and a half a cup of lemon juice would add the
final touch to make it seem like 'wine' rather than juice.

The feast being in Atlantia in late spring, we served this cold.  So, I
should have added more spice than I did.

Bonne