SC - Cool term!

Fri Nov 17 14:19:57 PST 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Cindy M. Renfrow" <cindy at thousandeggs.com>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2000 3:02 PM
Subject: Re: SC - Bourreys

> This recipe is from Harleian MS 4016; there is another in Harl. 279 that
> gives the option of using Mallard or Geese.
>
> That should be 'neres', not 'meres' = ears. Myltes = spleens.
>
> "Take lungs, hearts, ears, spleens and of the ribs of the Swine..."
>
> HTH,

Hmm, a fellow from the Calontir Cooks list <yes we've finally got one>
suggested meres being the word for boundaries, which put me in the idea that
it calls for the diaphragm muscle. Given the choice in a meat recipe I'd
lean toward the diaphragm more that ears, they being nothing more than
cartilage. I'm not a word scholar by any means, but why would you put pork
ears in a stew- even chopped small, wouldn't they be kinda chewy?
Beatrix

- ---