Cuskynoles (was RE: SC - bourreys)

Mon Nov 20 06:26:24 PST 2000

Christianna wrote:
[the Cantigas de Santa Maria]
>figured heavily into my elevation ceremony.  Which one did you do,
>and were you singing or playing an instrument?

I believe it was number 100. I was singing and playing a
dumbek/darabouka. There were five singers, one also playing a hand
drum, and one (Moshe, the instigator) doing some interesting rhythmic
clapping. I didn't have the words to the verses, so i hummed, i kinda
memorized the chorus and sang the end of one verse - where the melody
matches the chorus.

We also had a non-singer playing a (non-period) harp - i believe
they're called Irish or Celtic harps these days - has a sound box at
the bottom, nylon/gut strings, sharping levers, and was around least
3 feet tall or so.

The chorus kinda goes - and here i'll mangle the Spanish awfully
since i was picking it up on the fly:
Santa Maria
Strela do dia
mostra-nos vias
pera Deux a nos guias

...or something like that.

I'm hoping Moshe Mantega - an Andalusian Jewish persona who in real
life is half-Japanese and no part Jewish - and i - an Andalusian
Muslim who in real life is of Jewish heritage - can work out some
Cantigas together while i play the plucked psaltery. A typically
Andalusian blend of cultures in harmony...

OB Food content: hmmm, would be good to perform at an Andalusian feast...

First, let's see if i survive the Boar Hunt without falling on my nose.

Anahita al-shazhiyya
suffering first feast jitters