SC - Poisonous Tomatoes?

VonGraph vongraph at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 25 18:44:28 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 25 Nov 00, , that Jim Revells wrote:

>     I thought I would send this off for ya'll to comment on.  This is a note
> my daughter sent about the Feast she is going to photograph for the paper.
> It is an example of what people think was eaten in period.  The only
> question I have is- are green beans period?

No.  They're New World.

> I just want to know if I should tell her that none of the dishes are.

Some of them are.  Salad and fresh fruit were certainly eaten in
period, though I doubt they had much of either in winter in northern
Europe.

> The Roast Beef is debatable since we
> know that they roasted meat, but beef wasn't suggested as being healthy.

Nevertheless, they ate it.  Roasted beef appears on period menus,
and there are recipes for sauces.  Fried chicken, cheesecake, and
potato chips aren't considered healthy nowadays, but people
certainly eat them.

> "I read the preview story on the medieval dinner and it is a Music
> South production where they will be serving a 6 course meal
> "traditional rost beef entree and wassail drink-a combination of
> wine, beer or cider, spices and sugar" the menu will include "
> fresh fruit, salad, corn chowder, potatoes, beans with almonds,
> yourshire pudding and cheese"

> The wassail probably is depending on the recipie. but most every thing else
> is from North America!  She should have a lot of laughs at this event.

The funny thing is, it wouldn't have been much trouble to put
together a menu that was reasonably medieval, or at least that
didn't contain blatantly New World foods.  It's an odd collection of
dishes, too.  Sort of a hodgepodge of Victorian Christmas,
American Thanksgiving, and standard catering fare.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net