SC - Deep-fried Turkey? OOP

BaronessaIlaria@aol.com BaronessaIlaria at aol.com
Mon Nov 27 08:24:22 PST 2000

> time frame.  There are recipes for roast beef, but during certain periods, it
> was not a preferred meat as the cow was usually kept for its milk until it was
> quite old, therefore making the meat potentially tough and stringy.

Milch cows are still not the source for high quality beef. _Steers_,
castrated male cattle, are the source for most steaks, roasts, and chops:
recycled milch cow often never reaches human consumption now. Steers were
also used as beasts of burden (oxen) in period.

Looking at claims made on this list, plus mentions of cattle drives, one
suspects that if beef cattle were eaten as 'veal' up to the age of two
years, we may be working at cross-purposes: period people may well hafve
been eating what we think of as beef but calling it veal.
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker