SC - OP, OT - the religion of foods/food for thought?

margali margali at 99main.com
Mon Nov 27 09:06:11 PST 2000

hey all from Anne-Marie
yes, deep fying your turkey is apparently the new Thang (tm). I guess it
originated in the south. I know my hunters catelogs (great resource for SCA
gear, including medieval shaped cauldrons!) have carried them for years.
Stores like Home Depot are peddling the settups....you get a single high
BTU burner and a large tall narrow pot and a big thing of propane. The
places that sell them (hunters catelogs, hardward stores) makes it sound
like a boy thing, eh? :)

Maestro Eduardo up here in An Tir tried it this year and now swears by it.
He did a 20 lb bird in less than an hour. and it was done to
perfection...the hot oil sears the skin instantly (the whole bird is now
covered in the coveted crispy skin, not just the top) and the meat cooks
both from the uotside and the inside. The meat was flavorful and very
moist, but not greasy (I got a turkey sandwich from his bird the other
night :)).

You put peanut or canola oil in the pot and set it on the propane burner
unit (the same ones they used to sell as "crab boilers"). Once its to 350o
(ack!) you put your turkey on the special gizmo, basically threading the
bird head down on the "dipper thing". Obviously its not stuffed :)).
Wearing gloves, you carefully lower the bird in and let it go.

Do it outside. Two houses in our area burned down this year from this
process. But it does make a moist and flavorful bird, in a small amount of
time.

me, I'll stick to roasting....you dont get any drippings to make gravy when
you fry it!

- -AM