SC - Passage East III - Part 1

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Mon Nov 27 12:39:23 PST 2000

Hi Folks -

Being a born and bred Yankee, I was really skeptical about this one.  (My
first thought was what a terrific way to ruin a low fat food.)  I'm a total
convert now.

It was DELICIOUS, moist, tender, etc.  My step-brother had used some kind of
mild Cajun seasoning and cooked them in peanut oil.  Wonderful.  But the
real prize was the fact that my step-brother and his (then fiancée, now)
wife cooked 10 turkeys thanksgiving day (3 days before the wedding) for the
80 odd relatives visiting from all over the country.  Each turkey took about
35 minutes to cook and was perfect.  This seems like a far better option
then getting up at 6am to start it roasting.

That having been said, the comments about no gravy are correct.  A friend
suggests just buying some turkey legs to make the gravy off.  Personally, I
didn't miss it much.  I ate turkey until I was stuffed and never got tired
of it.  For Jeff and Jen, cooking the turkeys outdoors and doing essentially
picnic food to go with them allowed them to pull off thanksgiving dinner for
all those people immediately before the wedding with only minimal stress and
no major mess in the kitchen.  (All this taking place in Florida didn't
hurt...it was WARM enough to kick us all outside...)

Personally, if anyone decides they hate their turkey cooker, send it my way.
I want to introduce my northern friends to the tradition!

Caitlin Ruadh