SC - Re: New Articles at MKCC!

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Mon Nov 27 12:52:19 PST 2000

> > By the way, the drinking and smoking on the job issue is a relatively new
> > social phenomenon. 20 years ago the Manhattan lunch was considered apropos if
> > not expected. And it is only with the rise in the whine of nonsmokers that
> > smoking was banned in the workplace.

Smoking of cigarettes is a modern fad, of course, and in the nineteenth
century there were certainly some times and places where smoking of
cigars was banned either socially or otherwise.

The post-war period was an interesting one, as it was considered
appropriate for middle and upper class people to go to early afternoon
parties, get completely sloshed, start screaming fights and then drive
themselves home. If they could make it.

In the nineteenth century, such behavior was considered 'lower class' and
disgraceful. Fads come and go.
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker