SC - smok vs farts

Nisha Martin nishamartin at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 15:56:02 PST 2000

- --- david friedman <ddfr at best.com> wrote:
> At 9:13 AM -0800 11/27/00, Chris Stanifer wrote:
>
> >Okay, I'm confused.  Are we trying to determine
> >whether people in the MA thought tomatoes were
> >poisonous, or whether they are REALLY poisonous?
>

> We are trying to determine whether Europeans during
> at least part of
> the time from the 16th through the early 19th
> century thought they
> were poisonous.

I will check through the bibliographies of the various
works in which I have read this information, and see
what they offer... It seems unreasonable to think that
so many scholars merely "assumed" Europeans thought
the tomato was poisonous, but stranger things have
happened.  Admittedly, not very often...

Balthazar of Blackmoor