SC - Thanksgiving food

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 28 18:54:04 PST 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Selene commented:
> > I'm thinking that Thompson didn't count on folks like us with professional
> > kitchen sized bowls, perhaps?
>
> I'm curious. My biggest mixing bowl looks to be about 18 inches in
> diameter. What is your definition of "professional kitchen sized bowls"?  And
> when would you need bowls that size? I'm wondering if it would be
> worthwhile keeping my eyes open for some.

I used a two-footer for this one.  I have a couple of these, purchased at a
restaurant supply store.  I use them for SCA feast cookery mostly, or
occasionally as a hot tub. <GGG>

> I did cook some Cajun smothered corn for the holidays. The six cups of
> corn seemed to fill up the skillet I started with, so I didn't put in
> the additional cup that the recipe called for (was going to add all of
> a 2-cup package). Then I decided the skillet was too full and pulled out
> my largest skillet and put the corn in there. Then I realized that
> skillet
> didn't have a top and the recipe called for cooking it for a long time
> covered. And the alluminum foil I had was narrower than the skillet was
> wide. So back the corn went into the original (14 inch?) skillet. Sigh.
>
> It turned out good though. Simple ingredients but lots of cooking required.

Had you done it at my house, I would have offered my paella pan, which is about
18 inches across but the pan's thickness helps distribute the heat pretty
evenly.  It is the only pan in which I'll cook rice while camping anymore, so it
would probably work well for this recipe too.  In the meantime, two overlapping
widths of Al foil would have done you just fine in lieu of a lid, just fold them
into a 'french seam' and don't peek while cooking.

Best, Selene