Bubble and Squeak (OOP) Was Re: SC - Boxing Day Recipes?

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 29 10:52:11 PST 2000

The Japanese looked aghast while the European Catholics
>ruined perfectly good fish by dunking it in goo and boiling it in oil.
>"Why are
>you doing that?" they asked?  Not quite understanding, the priests
>explained
>that it was Lent and it was the time to eat fish.  The word in Latin for
>"time"
>is "tempora" and the Japanese took it to mean the name of the recipe.  So
>it is
>said.

Except, would the priests have been SPEAKING Latin to the Japanese?  isn't
it more likely they were speaking their native tongue (Portuguese, right?)
as Latin had already ceased to be used for every day speaking.

>From: "Top Secret Recipes" by Todd Wilbur:
>
>"In 1983, in his book "Big Secrets", author Wm. Poundstone hired a lab to
>analyze a dry sample of the spice mix. The surprising discovery was that
>instead
>of identifying "eleven herbs & spices," the analysis showed only four
>ingredients: flour, salt, pepper, and monosodium glutamate, a flavor
>enhancer.

Nevertheless, I have fun with this!  When I fry chicken, I start with
generous amounts of black and white pepper, salt and sage, then start
randomly adding pinches of this and that until I've hit the magic number 11.
   Never quite know how the fried chicken will taste.   The girls rejected a
strongly cinnamon version, but have unknowingly enjoyed combos with a more
subtle amount of cinnamon.  Tony liked the cinnamon style though.

Bonne