Bubble and Squeak (OOP) Was Re: SC - Boxing Day Recipes?

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 29 11:14:20 PST 2000

>Huette von Ahrens wrote:
>
> > Hi, All!
> >
> > A friend of mine just gave me a whole bunch of
> > persimmons in various states of ripeness.  I would
> > love to can them, but all my canning books don't talk
> > about canning them, just making jam or jelly out of
> > them, which is not what I want.  Could anyone send me
> > instructions on how to can them?

>Selene again... UC Davis has other
>ideas:<http://ceplacer.ucdavis.edu/nutrition/reasons4seasons/fruits/persimmon.htm>
>
>"Canning: Persimmons do not can well. They give a rather unpalatable
>product and
>turn puckery when heated."

My usually dependable reference has no recipe for persimmons at all.   But,
armed with 'Mama Dip's Kitchen' I am prepared to deal with those you
promised me.

Yes, here's the recipe:

Mama Dip's Kitchen, by Mildred Council, UNC Press, 1999

Wild Persimmon Pudding

3 - 4 cups persimmon pulp (use very ripe persimmons)
2 eggs
2 cups bron sugar, packed
1 cup milk
2 cups self-rising flour
1 stick butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins, chopped (optional)
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350. Wash the persimmons under cold running water.
Remove the seeds and set aside for 20 minutes. Mash the persimmons through a
colander or strainer to make a pulp.  (If the persimmons are very nice, you
can just remove the seeds and put the persimmons in a blender to process.)
Beat the eggs, adding the sugar, until well mixed.  Add the milk,
alternating with the flour, in thirds, combining well.  Add the vanilla and
cinnamon.  Stir in the persimmons (and raisins and walnuts, if used.) Mix
well.  Melt the butter in a 1 1/2 quart baking dish or 9 x 12 inch pan and
tilt the pan to coat the bottom and sides with butter.  Pour the persimmon
mixture into the pan.  Bake for 1 hour or until firm.  Serve with whipped
topping.  Serves 6.

Bonne