SC - I am not sure where else to try so...

Ratboy kattratt at home.com
Thu Nov 30 07:22:31 PST 2000

- --part1_c2.3d8880c.2757c3e5_boundary

Greetings,

On Saturday, 18 November, I hosted the thirteenth-annual Hatherleigh Fire=20
Festival Medieval Dinner at my home in Minneapolis.  There were twenty-four=20
at table, including three children.  We were honored to have as a guest Lady=
=20
Margaret Fitzwilliam of Kent (MKA Jennifer "Pixel" Getty), from Nordskogen,=20
who introduced us to Armored Turnips, elegantly presented with yellow and=20
white stripes. Another imaginative dish was sixteen fist-sized Yrchouns,=20
bristling with slivered almond spines and sporting cute little currant eyes=20
and noses.  Also impressive, the Tourte Parmerienne was rectangular, ten=20
inches by fifteen inches, with pastry battlements defended by chicken leg=20
turrets flying bacon flags. =20

My own contribution was a brace of Cockentrice.  I found a small, family=20
butcher shop in South St. Paul (just up the hill from the slaughterhouses),=20
that found me a twelve-pound suckling pig.  I special-ordered a roasting=20
chicken with its head and feet still on from Lund's, a local up-scale=20
supermarket.  I cut them both in half and sewed them back together with=20
carpet thread, having first to poke holes through the pig's skin with a meta=
l=20
skewer.  I lined up the spines of the halves I was joining, and sewed them=20
together down one side at a time.  I sewed down through the pig's skin and u=
p=20
through the chicken's, pulling its thinner skin over the top of the seam. I=20
held the chicken's neck in a graceful curve with a skewer supported in a wad=
=20
of aluminum foil, which was disguised on the serving platter with a purple=20
cabbage leaf.  I roasted them according to directions for suckling pig in=20
"Joie de Cuisine" (MS Rombauer-Becker 1975).  The hardest part (apart from=20
scooping out the pig's eyes) was trying to use a needle with wet, greasy=20
fingers.  I replaced the pig's eyes with green grapes and cloves, and put a=20
small red onion in its mouth.  I know the original receipts say "stuff it as=
=20
a pig", or stuff it with bread, eggs and suet, and some purists may criticiz=
e=20
me for deviating from the primary source, but I decided to acknowledge their=
=20
bird half, and stuffed them with garlic, grapes and parsley (Sauce for a Gos=
,=20
Ashmole MS 1439, redaction below).  Some of the guests were a bit intimidate=
d=20
to look at a second course that looked back at them (including the Yrchouns)=
,=20
but once the beasts got cut up, they were completely devoured.

I have a digital picture of the roasted Cockentrice ready to be served, whic=
h=20
I will e-mail to anyone who writes me privately.

Rudd Rayfield

Menu

First Course
Mortreus  (Harleian MS 4016)
Puree of Peson (Forme of Cury)
Beef with Pevorade (Ashmole MS 1439)
Chicken with Lumbard Mustard  (Forme of Cury)
Mushroom Tart (Menagier de Paris)
Sambocade (Forme of Cury)

Second Course
Peeres in Confyt (Forme of Cury)
Cockentrice (Harleian MS 279)
Yrchouns (Harleian MS 279)
Armored Turnips (Platina)
Salat
Tourte Parmerienne (Viandier de Taillevent)
Bake Mete (Pear Custard Pie) (Harleien MS 279)

SAUCE FOR A GOS
(Garlic and Grape Sauce for Fowl)

Take percelye, grapis, clowes of garleke, and salt, and put it in (th)e goos=
,=20
and lete roste.  And whanne (th)e goos is y-now, schake out (th)at is=20
wi(th)-in, and put al in a mortre, and do (th)er-to iij harde (y)olkes of=20
egges;  and grind al to-gedre, and tempre it vp wi(th) verious, and cast it=20
upon the goos in a faire chargeour.  & so serue it for(th).
Ashmole MS 1439

(Garlic and grapes was a popular combination with various fowl, as stuffing=20
and as sauce.
The amount of garlic I used is based on personal preference.  I have=20
substituted wine vinegar for verjuice.)

1 ten- to fifteen-pound goose, or 2 four-pound ducks or chickens
2 C chopped parsley
2 C seedless grapes
12 whole cloves of garlic, or to taste
Salt to taste
3 hard-boiled egg yolks
1/2 C wine vinegar

1.  Preheat the oven to 450=BA.

2.  In a bowl, combine grapes, garlic, parsley, and salt.  Stuff the goose,=20
ducks or chickens with this mixture.

3.  Put the bird on a rack in a roasting pan, and put it in the oven.  Reduc=
e=20
heat to 350=BA, and roast for 20 minutes per pound for the goose, or 25 minu=
tes=20
per pound for the ducks or chickens, or until the fowl is cooked through. =20
Draw grease out of the pan frequently.

4.  Remove from oven and allow to cool for about fifteen minutes.  Remove th=
e=20
stuffing, and put it in a blender or food processor.  Add the egg yolks and=20
vinegar and pur=E9e the mixture.

5.  Put the roast goose on a serving platter and pour the sauce over it.

Yields two cups of sauce.
Serves six to eight.

A BAKE METE
(Pear Custard Pie)

Take an make fayre lytel cofyns;  (th)an take Perys, & (y)if `ey ben lytelle=
,=20
put .iij in a cofynne, & pare clene, & be-twyn euery pere, ley a gobet of=20
Marow;  & yf (th)ou haue no lytel Perys, take grete, & gobet hem, & so put=20
hem in (th)e ovyn a whyle;  (th)an take (th)in commade lyke as (th)ou takyst=
=20
to Dowcetys, & pore (th)er-on;  but lat (th)e Marow & `e Perys ben sene;  &=20
whan it is y-now, serue forth.
Harleian MS 279

(The original recipe calls for little pie crusts, but I have made this as on=
e=20
large pie.  In Harleian MS 279  Dowcetys (doucettes) are plain custard pies.=
)

Pastry dough for one nine-inch pie crust
3 large pears
3 T bone marrow, in large chunks
3 raw egg yolks
1/4 C sugar
Dash salt
1 C heavy cream
1/8 tsp saffron

1.  Preheat oven to 450=BA. =20

2.Peel, halve, and core the pears.  Slice one of them into strips and layer=20
the strips evenly in the bottom of the pie crust.  Sprinkle two tablespoons=20
of crumbled bone marrow over the pear slices.

3.  Neatly arrange the remaining pear halves on top of the sliced pears,=20
rounded side up.  Place the remaining chunks of marrow at the center of the=20
pie. =20

4.  Put pie crust, filled with pears and marrow, into the oven for ten=20
minutes to harden it.

5.  In a bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks.  Stir in remaining ingredients. =20

6.  Reduce oven heat to 325=BA.  Pull oven rack part way out and quickly and=
=20
carefully pour custard mixture into the pie crust.  The round tops of the=20
pears should remain above the surface.

7.  Bake pie for thirty minutes, or until firm.  Allow to cool before servin=
g.

Serves six to twelve.

- --part1_c2.3d8880c.2757c3e5_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2>Greetings,
<BR>
<BR>On Saturday, 18 November, I hosted the thirteenth-annual Hatherleigh Fir=
e <BR>Festival Medieval Dinner at my home in Minneapolis.  There were t=
wenty-four <BR>at table, including three children.  We were honored to=20=
have as a guest Lady <BR>Margaret Fitzwilliam of Kent (MKA Jennifer "Pixel"=20=
Getty), from Nordskogen, <BR>who introduced us to Armored Turnips, elegantly=
 presented with yellow and <BR>white stripes. Another imaginative dish was s=
ixteen fist-sized Yrchouns, <BR>bristling with slivered almond spines and sp=
orting cute little currant eyes <BR>and noses.  Also impressive, the To=
urte Parmerienne was rectangular, ten <BR>inches by fifteen inches, with pas=
try battlements defended by chicken leg <BR>turrets flying bacon flags. &nbs=
p;
<BR>
<BR>My own contribution was a brace of Cockentrice.  I found a small, f=
amily <BR>butcher shop in South St. Paul (just up the hill from the slaughte=
rhouses), <BR>that found me a twelve-pound suckling pig.  I special-ord=
ered a roasting <BR>chicken with its head and feet still on from Lund's, a l=
ocal up-scale <BR>supermarket.  I cut them both in half and sewed them=20=
back together with <BR>carpet thread, having first to poke holes through the=
 pig's skin with a metal <BR>skewer.  I lined up the spines of the halv=
es I was joining, and sewed them <BR>together down one side at a time. &nbsp=
;I sewed down through the pig's skin and up <BR>through the chicken's, pulli=
ng its thinner skin over the top of the seam. I <BR>held the chicken's neck=20=
in a graceful curve with a skewer supported in a wad <BR>of aluminum foil, w=
hich was disguised on the serving platter with a purple <BR>cabbage leaf. &n=
bsp;I roasted them according to directions for suckling pig in <BR>"Joie de=20=
Cuisine" (MS Rombauer-Becker 1975).  The hardest part (apart from <BR>s=
cooping out the pig's eyes) was trying to use a needle with wet, greasy <BR>=
fingers.  I replaced the pig's eyes with green grapes and cloves, and p=
ut a <BR>small red onion in its mouth.  I know the original receipts sa=
y "stuff it as <BR>a pig", or stuff it with bread, eggs and suet, and some p=
urists may criticize <BR>me for deviating from the primary source, but I dec=
ided to acknowledge their <BR>bird half, and stuffed them with garlic, grape=
s and parsley (Sauce for a Gos, <BR>Ashmole MS 1439, redaction below). &nbsp=
;Some of the guests were a bit intimidated <BR>to look at a second course th=
at looked back at them (including the Yrchouns), <BR>but once the beasts got=
 cut up, they were completely devoured.
<BR>
<BR>I have a digital picture of the roasted Cockentrice ready to be served,=20=
which <BR>I will e-mail to anyone who writes me privately.
<BR>
<BR>Rudd Rayfield
<BR>______________________________________________________________________
<BR>
<BR>Menu
<BR>
<BR>First Course
<BR>Mortreus  (Harleian MS 4016)
<BR>Puree of Peson (Forme of Cury)
<BR>Beef with Pevorade (Ashmole MS 1439)
<BR>Chicken with Lumbard Mustard  (Forme of Cury)
<BR>Mushroom Tart (Menagier de Paris)
<BR>Sambocade (Forme of Cury)
<BR>
<BR>Second Course
<BR>Peeres in Confyt (Forme of Cury)
<BR>Cockentrice (Harleian MS 279)
<BR>Yrchouns (Harleian MS 279)
<BR>Armored Turnips (Platina)
<BR>Salat
<BR>Tourte Parmerienne (Viandier de Taillevent)
<BR>Bake Mete (Pear Custard Pie) (Harleien MS 279)
<BR>______________________________________________________________________
<BR>
<BR>SAUCE FOR A GOS
<BR>(Garlic and Grape Sauce for Fowl)
<BR>
<BR>Take percelye, grapis, clowes of garleke, and salt, and put it in (th)e=20=
goos, <BR>and lete roste.  And whanne (th)e goos is y-now, schake out (=
th)at is <BR>wi(th)-in, and put al in a mortre, and do (th)er-to iij harde (=
y)olkes of <BR>egges;  and grind al to-gedre, and tempre it vp wi(th) v=
erious, and cast it <BR>upon the goos in a faire chargeour.  & so s=
erue it for(th).
<BR>Ashmole MS 1439
<BR>
<BR>(Garlic and grapes was a popular combination with various fowl, as stuff=
ing <BR>and as sauce.
<BR>The amount of garlic I used is based on personal preference.  I hav=
e <BR>substituted wine vinegar for verjuice.)
<BR>
<BR>1 ten- to fifteen-pound goose, or 2 four-pound ducks or chickens
<BR>2 C chopped parsley
<BR>2 C seedless grapes
<BR>12 whole cloves of garlic, or to taste
<BR>Salt to taste
<BR>3 hard-boiled egg yolks
<BR>1/2 C wine vinegar
<BR>
<BR>1.  Preheat the oven to 450=BA.
<BR>
<BR>2.  In a bowl, combine grapes, garlic, parsley, and salt.  Stu=
ff the goose, <BR>ducks or chickens with this mixture.
<BR>
<BR>3.  Put the bird on a rack in a roasting pan, and put it in the ove=
n.  Reduce <BR>heat to 350=BA, and roast for 20 minutes per pound for t=
he goose, or 25 minutes <BR>per pound for the ducks or chickens, or until th=
e fowl is cooked through.  <BR>Draw grease out of the pan frequently.
<BR>
<BR>4.  Remove from oven and allow to cool for about fifteen minutes. &=
nbsp;Remove the <BR>stuffing, and put it in a blender or food processor. &nb=
sp;Add the egg yolks and <BR>vinegar and pur=E9e the mixture.
<BR>
<BR>5.  Put the roast goose on a serving platter and pour the sauce ove=
r it.
<BR>
<BR>Yields two cups of sauce.
<BR>Serves six to eight.
<BR>
<BR>A BAKE METE
<BR>(Pear Custard Pie)
<BR>
<BR>Take an make fayre lytel cofyns;  (th)an take Perys, & (y)if `e=
y ben lytelle, <BR>put .iij in a cofynne, & pare clene, & be-twyn eu=
ery pere, ley a gobet of <BR>Marow;  & yf (th)ou haue no lytel Pery=
s, take grete, & gobet hem, & so put <BR>hem in (th)e ovyn a whyle;=20=
 (th)an take (th)in commade lyke as (th)ou takyst <BR>to Dowcetys, &amp=
; pore (th)er-on;  but lat (th)e Marow & `e Perys ben sene;  &=
amp; <BR>whan it is y-now, serue forth.
<BR>Harleian MS 279
<BR>
<BR>(The original recipe calls for little pie crusts, but I have made this a=
s one <BR>large pie.  In Harleian MS 279  Dowcetys (doucettes) are=
 plain custard pies.)
<BR>
<BR>Pastry dough for one nine-inch pie crust
<BR>3 large pears
<BR>3 T bone marrow, in large chunks
<BR>3 raw egg yolks
<BR>1/4 C sugar
<BR>Dash salt
<BR>1 C heavy cream
<BR>1/8 tsp saffron
<BR>
<BR>1.  Preheat oven to 450=BA.
<BR>
<BR>2.Peel, halve, and core the pears.  Slice one of them into strips a=
nd layer <BR>the strips evenly in the bottom of the pie crust.  Sprinkl=
e two tablespoons <BR>of crumbled bone marrow over the pear slices.
<BR>
<BR>3.  Neatly arrange the remaining pear halves on top of the sliced p=
ears, <BR>rounded side up.  Place the remaining chunks of marrow at the=
 center of the <BR>pie.
<BR>
<BR>4.  Put pie crust, filled with pears and marrow, into the oven for=20=
ten <BR>minutes to harden it.
<BR>
<BR>5.  In a bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks.  Stir in remaining=20=
ingredients.
<BR>
<BR>6.  Reduce oven heat to 325=BA.  Pull oven rack part way out a=
nd quickly and <BR>carefully pour custard mixture into the pie crust.  =
The round tops of the <BR>pears should remain above the surface.
<BR>
<BR>7.  Bake pie for thirty minutes, or until firm.  Allow to cool=
 before serving.
<BR>
<BR>Serves six to twelve.
<BR>
<BR></FONT></HTML>

- --part1_c2.3d8880c.2757c3e5_boundary--