SC - fat consumption in period

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 30 21:23:43 PST 2000

>patacones are also known as tostones, and
>they're
>twice-fried plantains.
>
>AND they are WONDERFUL!!!!! I make them on occasion
>myself. My husband and best friend call them rotten
>bananas because the recipe I used called for them to
>look like bananas that are ripe enough for banana
>bread.

I was taught to do them with plaintains that aren't that ripe.  Green, just
beginning to be spotty.  Slice about half and inch thick, fry in butter
until nicely brown, smoosh the slices flatter and fry until the part that
smooshed out is nicely brown too.  top with a light sprinkle of sugar and
cinnamon--but this is a vegetable not a dessert so don't go crazy with it,
according to my teacher in the matter.   you can do the two fryings as
completely seperate steps--begin them in the morning and finish them just
before serving with dinner.

Bonne