SC - flour, sugar and fat in the medieval diet?

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Thu Nov 30 15:44:29 PST 2000

> And then for the feast, I think I will have a variety of roasted
> meats (pork, beef, maybe turkey), sauces, perhaps one simple
> side dish, soup, and hot cider.

Suggestion: roast meats, unfortunately, tend not to hold heat very well
when cut into serving pieces. For practical reasons, you may want to go
with meat-in-sauce dishes, the kinds our period cookbooks call 'bruets' or
'pottages'. However, when you suggest them, call them 'Meat x with a x
sauce' or 'in x gravy' (look at Redon's _Medieval Kitchen_ for examples of
this type of description). Present these to your group as things that will
be warmer when eaten, rather than 'period food'. It's worth a try. (Those
things can also be pre-cooked, then frozen; defrosting them and warming
them up goes faster than if you were working with 'slabs-o-meat'.

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker