SC - seed markets?

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Thu Nov 30 15:50:34 PST 2000

> > A period "seed market"? More details or references please. This is the
> I would find it hard to believe that such a thing did not exist. The middle
> ages were in fact an agricultural society. A society that was neither more
> nor less grand than our own technological society. I would venture the
> opinion that proof of a 'seed market' is not the issue but rather that proof
> that such a market did NOT exist would be the better query.

The question of how extensive the trade in seeds was (as opposed to saving
of seeds for next year's crop) at any given time would be an interesting
one to follow up.

I guess the question is, under what circumstances would people be buying
their seeds routinely rather than harvesting seeds from the previous
crop-- or obtaining them through friends and neighbors? Obviously, new
world veggies would be one instance!

Doesn't Le Menagier say something about obtaining seeds?
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker