Bubble and Squeak (OOP) Was Re: SC - Boxing Day Recipes?

Bronwynmgn@aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu Nov 30 19:01:14 PST 2000

> Have you tried looking under the term 'aubergine'? That is the name eggplant
> usually goes by in the King's English. It is derived from a similar French
> term so looking under a form of that word in French sources may be fruitful.

Possibly. I'll check Parkinson. However, the OED doesn't hold out much
hope, since the first reference they give is 1794. The derivation is:
"[Fr., dim. of auberge, variant of alberge ‘a kind of peach’
(Littré), ad. Sp. alberchigo, alverchiga, ‘an apricocke’ (Minsheu
1623).] "

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker