SC - Barley malt syrup?

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 1 08:37:04 PST 2000

SCAbeathog at cs.com wrote:

> > Ah, yes, I did realize the connection to beer.  But using it as your
husband
> > does sounds interesting.  I, too, would love the recipe.  This may be
the
> > year for a change from OUR  traditional day-after-Thanksgiving turkey
> > tostados!

and Adamantius replied:
> I thought it was some kind of law that you had to make either tetrazzini
> (hokey but yum!) or croquettes (boo!). Perhaps my association with
> croquettes and childhood torture have more to do with my mom's skill (or
> alleged lack thereof) with making them. They generally seemed to
> resemble commercial fish cakes made from turkey.

hmmmm.... I've always done pot pie (of course I *love* roasted turkey
sandwiches with (not to open this subject up again!) just plain nothing but
miracle whip, so our turkey left overs have usually gone pretty quickly
just as turkey sandwhiches, turkey pot pie and turkey with dressing.  even
tho' we buy quite a bit larger turkey than we need we seem to have no
problems getting rid of the left overs.

a couple of years ago I tried turkey tetrazzini for the first time and it
went over well, but I guess folks are just in the habit of eating the
simpler stuff, because 1/2 the batch went to waste.

> Where were we? Oh. Turkey. Yeah. Malt syrup.
>
> Malt syrup is a _very_ common ingredient in the glaze for Peking Duck.

really!  how intriguing.  Brian and I have always been intrigued by the
fact that you have to order Peking Duck 24 hours in advance and have
promised ourselves that we will have a special meal sometime and remember
to plan ahead and order Peking Duck.  Since I had no idea why it would take
that long I looked it up on allrecipes.com the other day and they said that
it was coated with honey.  Interesting that there's more than one way to do
it, but I guess that's to be expected.  Now I'm even more curious about how
it will be done at the restaurant where we end up.

thanks for that tidbit!

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier