SC - Scottish oatcakes

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Nov 1 11:19:44 PST 2000

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> I just checked the can, and that's exactly what is written on it. Good
> heavens; I never noticed that before! Gotta love a product with an
> honest-to-gosh putrid dead lion on the label! At first glance it does
> indeed look like a lion lying there with a bunch of bees buzzing around
> it, but it clearly is the lion of Samson's riddle in, I think, the Book
> of Judges... the lion is a corpse in which bees have built a hive, and
> Samson has taken the honey and commented on the irony of the fact that
> an eater is producing food, and strength, sweetness. Wait till the PC
> crowd get a new look at _that_ label.

IIRC, Samson had killed that lion himself, and coming by at a later time
is when he found it full of honey. Funny thing is, touching a dead body
is a pretty big no-no*, and I never have figured out how the theologans
got past that (I've heard a hundred sermons on the passage if I've heard
one...). But then, Samson wasn't exactly a by-the-book man...

*One of those fun little laws that show up in Leviticus and Deuteronomy,
like the handful that Jed Bartlet quoted on 'West Wing' the other
night... (West Wing is the Sacred Hour, so I will not be online 9ish
tonight :-)

Jed Bartlet for President!

(I already mailed my ballot, so I can be smug!)

'Lainie
holding her breath in Oregon