SC - French knife

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 1 13:48:24 PST 2000

- --- Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:

> I assumed, both from the stated age and the fact
> that it is stained,
> that the knife wasn't stainless, high-carbon
> stainless or otherwise. I
> figured it was some form of carbon steel.

I am one of those cooks who has never had the pleasure
of owning a high carbon steel blade... In my area they
are very difficult to find, and I have never had the
money or inclination to order one when it was
convenient to do so.  Master A, when you are cleaning
your blade with fine mesh wool, do you use soap?  Do
you restrict your high carbon knives to use only on
low-acid foods?  I have always had a few questions
regarding the differences between theoretical and
practical care for high carbon steel blades (i.e. does
the cook practice what everyone else is preaching, and
if NOT, does it really make a difference?)

Balthazar of Blackmoor