SC - RE: Iron Chef Competition - long

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 2 09:22:13 PST 2000

>> All righty then Ras, I turn it back on you.  How would =you= do
>> this?
>> Is there a period citation about a cooking competition?
>>
>> Selene
>
> Not that I know of. That's the rub. My post was meant to convey a
> disdain at
> surrounding ourselves with the familiar (e.g., modern) at events. I
> really
> see no need for such as approach. The Siege cooking contests which
> were for a
> brief time popular would be far more acceptable as a competition at
> events
> than the populist iron chef absurdities. What is next? Perhaps a
> housewifery
> competition based on Martha Stewart? :-)
>
> Ras

Ha.  Martha Stewart is boring, and I've caught her on too many factual
errors.  Iron Chef, however, is just a new twist on the 'tourney'
concept.  It's culinary combat presented a martial arts competition as
only Japanese tradition can inspire.  Staged properly, outdoors without
modern utensils, I see it as no more a 'modern absurdity' than any
well-heralded tournament combat, two combatants using their own kind of
'weapons' in a timed battle.  And =we= get to use live steel! <evil
grin, with teeth>  Think of it as a "Pas d'Arms de la Cuisine" if you
will.

I just don't have a problem using a television metaphor to draw in an
audience, and by the time they figure out that they are watching an arts
contest and enjoying it, we've already got them hooked!

Selene