non-member submission - RE: SC - Barley malt syrup?

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 2 13:40:48 PST 2000

- --- "Michael F. Gunter"  "Actually Nicollo"
> think my mind is seeing something
> a bit different.  The malt extract (beer making
> stuff) I am thinking of
> has a gravity that can't easily be measured
> with standard floaty thing because it is the
> consistancy of molasses.  I
> am losing track of the original thread,
> so I could easily be way off base in all of this.

The original question (unless I have been asleep) was
whether or not a product similar to Malt Syrup may
have been available in the Middle Ages.  The Malt
Syrup being referred to is not Malt Extract, such as
you would use in home brewing, but a much thinner,
less concentrated syrup used for food production.  It
has the consistency of pancake syrup, is fairly
pourable, and tastes yummy on Ice Cream...

My statement was that, while probably not commercially
available in the Middle Ages, a substance such as this
has been present in every brewhouse throughout
time...albeit in a slightly less concentrated form.

If the original poster was concerned about using this
syrup in a food product designed for a Medieval Feast,
I would take the opportunity to point out that Ale
Barm is called for in at least a few recipes in extant
texts.  I, personally, would not have any objection to
a simple substitution of the syrup for the barm, but
there may be others who would.  Viewer Discretion is
Advised...

Balthazar of Blackmoor