SC - Children's homework weirdness

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 18:04:07 PST 2000

- --- grizly at mindspring.com wrote:

> Well, I have a translation of a Dutch cookery book
> called _The Sensible Cook or good housekeeping_
> includeds materials published from around 1589 on in
> a Shaker-rich society (Netherlands).  It isn't
> quiate apples to apples, but it references foods ued
> in the New World and has numerous vegetable recipes
> including asaparagus, endive, sugar peas, cabbages,
> chervil, pumpkins and jerusalem artichokes. Shapers
> aren't Puritans, but this book was printed in New
> Amsterdam if I read correctly in 1687.
>
> niccolo difrancesco

No, the original cookbook was not published in New
Amsterdam, but it was published in Amsterdam.
However, a copy of the Dutch cookbook was found in the
library of one of the oldest Dutch families in New
York.  The book, its title is correctly "The sensible
cook : Dutch foodways in the Old and the New World",
does have some New World recipes in it taken from
letters and diaries IIRC, but it is mostly redacts the
Dutch cookbook.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.