non-member submission - RE: SC - Barley malt syrup?

Tue Nov 7 03:13:54 PST 2000

Malt syrup does not equate to ale barm.  Ale barm is the actively fermenting
mix from the top of the ale pot which may be cleaned before being used as a
leaven.

A closer substitute is a teaspoon or so of malt syrup dissolved in a cup or
so of water to which a teaspoon of yeast is added to create a leaven.

Bear