SC - RE Isinglass

Trierarch at aol.com Trierarch at aol.com
Fri Nov 10 04:07:46 PST 2000

Hi,
The substance called isinglass is a substance used like a gelatin.  Gelatin
like we know today comes  primarily from  bones.  The first recorded
documentation regarding "gelatin" was about 1682.  Isinglass however has a
longer history, it is a type of gelatin extracted from the air bladders of
certain fish, particularly sturgeon.  It can be purchases today in dry or
liquid forms (with or near things like Irishmoss) and is used primarily for
clearing yeast and other suspended particulates from beer.   Hope this helps.

Donegal Arias Massalla

In a message dated 10-Nov-00 3:16:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,