SC - Manual de Mujeres -- some obscure words

Dana Huffman letrada at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 10 10:57:53 PST 2000

Here are some translations I've come up with for some of
the specialized words I've come across, although some are a
bit awkward or tentative as yet.  I have a copy of the
Maria Moliner dictionary that gives the scientific names
for most plants, which has been a great help (best $100+ I
ever spent on a book.  Only $100+ I've ever spent on a
book, but that's beside the point).  Some of the others
have been arrived at via leaps of logic or instinct that
may or may not have been justified.  I don't have the notes
on how I arrived at the translations at hand just now
(still In A Box, with the rest of my life), but here are
the results:

menjui: benzoin

cardenillo: copper soot -- a very tentative translation,
with which I am not satisfied

clarimente: cosmetic water -- the only definitions I have
found are along the lines of "a certain water that women
use as makeup"

soliman: a substance made by combining chlorine and
mercury, possibly mercury chloride

estoraque: balsam

estoraque calamita: Bufo calamita balsam

piedra alumbre: alum stone

mudas: ointment

celemin: dry measure of 4.6 liters

albohol: Frankenia pulverulenta

mosqueta: wild rose/dog rose -- could also be Kerria
japonica, but the latin name implies a Japanese origin for
that

goma de gante: gum tragacanth -- or gum of Gaunt, if there
is such a thing

alegria: sesame (seeds)

sangre de drago: dragon tree resin

polvorizar: to dust (i.e. sprinkle a powder over something)

gallocresta: clary sage

muerto (en): slaked (with)

atincar: borax

orpimente: orpiment

Hope this is useful.  Still no idea what "mundice" is, by
the way.

Dana/Ximena
who STILL hasn't got the computer set up in the new house
(some concern over the ungrounded outlets), but has finally
unearthed the kitchen counter.