SC - Tentative Boar Hunt Menu

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 12 23:36:37 PST 2000

Greetings:

The Tentative Menu for the Boar Hunt Feast follows. I'm posting my
prospective menu here for vetting by you experts :-)

I will be cooking a couple dishes which recipes were sent to me by
members of this list. I thank all who have helped, Anne-Marie
especially, but others as well, whose names are lost in the mists of
time.

My feast is mostly authentic, mostly Medieval English, although i
will have hot spiced cider out on the sideboard - it'll be chilly
here (40's or 30's) and the hall is unheated - or does anyone have a
recommendation for a more authentic hot non-alcoholic beverage? Also,
i'm open to suggestions for winter type foods/recipes/sources.

I'm trying to keep things relatively simple. This is my first time as
Kitchen Steward, and most of the kitchen crew are college students.
Most of the preparation and cooking will be done on site.

Also, any helpful hints to a first time Kitchen Steward? It'll be
especially hectic for me as i leave for Morocco two days after the
feast.

Thanks,

Anahita al-shazhiyya

SIDEBOARD/on tables - available all the time
Compost - a mix of spiced and pickled fruits and vegetables - made
ahead of time by me
Bread and butter
Cheeses
Hot Spiced Apple Cider

FIRST COURSE
various sausages - purchased ready made - not authentic recipe
Baked/Roast Chicken
Cabbage dish - still undecided - or maybe Collies (Cauliflower) cooked in milk
Rice cooked in Chicken Broth
Buttered Apples and Onions
Funges - mushrooms in broth with poudre forte

SECOND COURSE
Roast Pork Loin with garlic (and herbs?)
Sauce for the Pork - undecided - horseradish, cider, garlic, other?
Turnips in Mustard Sauce
Frumenty
Sallat
Lombard Custard
Quinces (or other fruit) cooked with ginger

DESSERT COURSE
Boar's Head Sotiltie - made ahead of time by someone else
Pear Tart
Rice Pudding? Almond Milk Custard? White Cheese Tart?